High View Primary School

‟High View is an exciting place to learn and grow,
where everyone is valued for who they are.”

SEND Parent Information

A Parent-Friendly Approach 

How does High View school assess the progress of pupils and what would they do if my son / daughter were falling behind?

Each child, regardless of their need has a personalisation plan at High View School.  If you have any concerns regarding your child, speak to the class teacher in first instance.

When a teacher or a parent has raised concerns about your child’s progress, and targeted teaching has not met the child’s needs, the teacher must raise this with the Inclusion Co-ordinator (INCo) and our Parent Support Advisor (PSA). If your child is then identified as not making progress the school will set up a meeting to discuss this with you in more details:

  • To listen to any concerns you may have too;
  • To plan any additional support your child may receive in school and at home;
  • To discuss with you any referrals to outside professionals to support your child’s learning and development.

This is how we scaffold our support for our pupils including educational, social/emotional, behavioural and communication needs.

  • Your child’s teacher will have carefully checked on your child’s progress and will have decided that your child has gaps in their understanding/learning and needs some extra support to help them make the best possible progress.
  • She/He will plan personalised sessions for your child with targets to help your child to make more progress.
  • A Teaching Assistant/teacher or outside professional (like a Speech and Language Therapist) will run 1:1 or  small group sessions using the teacher’s plans, or a recommended programme- this can include Reading Recovery, Nurture Groups, Booster Groups, BLAST, etc.
  • Learning mentor, drama / play therapist or counselling  support focus on social and emotional development, is delivered 1:1, paired or in a group as appropriate, either in or out of class.
  • Provision of individually tailored visual support packages for specific children including individual timetables and behavioural cue cards.
  • Provision of resources to enhance independent learning including sand timers, easy-grip scissors, colourful semantics folders and table top writing packs containing finger spacers, phonics sound mats and high frequency word lists, etc.
  • Provision of resources for sensory therapy.
  •  Assessment by and intervention from an outside agency (Speech and Language therapist, EP, CIT, to name a few), on referral.
  • Therapy programmes used for children with Learning,  Speech, Language and Communication Needs.
  • If your child has been identified as needing more specialist input instead of or in addition to excellent class room teaching and intervention groups, referrals will be made to outside agencies to advise and support the school in enabling your child to make progress.
  • Before referrals are made you will be asked to come to a meeting to discuss your child’s progress and help plan possible ways forward.
  •  You may be asked to give your permission for the school to refer your child to a specialist professional e.g. a Speech and Language Therapist,  Educational Psychologist, the Communication Interaction Team. This will help the school and yourself understand your child’s particular needs better and be able to support them better in school and at home.
  • The specialist professional will work with your  child to understand their needs and make recommendations, which may include:
    • Making changes to the way your child is supported in class e.g. some individual support or changing some aspects of teaching to support them better.
    • Support to set better targets which will include their specific expertise.
    • A group run by school staff under the guidance of the outside professional e.g. a social skills group or sensory circuit.
    • A group or individual work with outside professional.

The school may suggest that your child needs some agreed individual support in school. They will tell you how the support will be used and what strategies will be put in place.

  • The school or you can request that the Local Authority carry out a statutory assessment of your child’s needs. This is a legal process and you can find more details about this in the Local Authority (LA) based Local Offer.
  • After the school have sent in the request to the Local Authority (with a lot of information about your child, including some from you), they will decide whether they think your child’s needs (as described in the paperwork provided), seem complex enough to need a statutory assessment. If this is the case they will ask you and all professionals involved with your child to write a report outlining your child’s needs. If they do not think your child needs this, they will ask the school to continue with the support at the Action Stage. After the reports have all been sent in the Local Authority will decide if your child’s needs are severe, complex and lifelong and that they need support in school to make good progress. If this is the case they will write an Education Health Care Plan (EHC Plan).
  • If an EHC Plan is agreed, it will outline the number of hours of individual/small group support your child will receive from the Local Authority and how the support should be used and what strategies must be put in place. It will also have long and short term goals for your child.
  • The additional adult may be used to support your child with whole class learning, run individual programmes or run small groups including your child.
  • The school budget, received from Plymouth Local Authority, includes money for supporting children with SEND.
  • The Head Teacher decides on the budget for Special Educational Needs in consultation with the school governors, on the basis of needs in the school.
  • The Head Teacher and the Inclusion Co-ordinator discuss all the information they have about Special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) in the school, including:
    • the  children getting extra support already;
    • the children needing extra support:
    • the children who have been identified as not making as much progress as would be expected.

And decide what resources/training and support is needed.

  • All resources/training and support are reviewed regularly and changes made as needed.
  • If you are still not happy you can speak to the school’s SEND Governor.

How accessible is the school environment?

  • The school is fully accessible to children with any physical disability (lift).
  • We ensure that equipment used is accessible to all children regardless of their needs.
  • Enrichment activities are extended to all pupils regardless of their needs.
  • All children are welcome to all our Breakfast and After School Clubs regardless of needs/disabilities.
  • Forest School is accessible to all children regardless to their needs.

Where can I find information about the school / setting’s approach to pupils with SEN?

Information about High View School is available from:

Who is the person responsible for children and young people with SEN?

The Inclusion Coordinator: Mrs Sabine Anker is responsible for co-ordinating all the support for children with Special  Educational and Disabilities (SEND). She is:

  • Developing and reviewing the school’s SEND policy;
  • Involved in the support and the progress reviews of your child;
  • Ensuring that you are informed about your child’s progress;
  • Updating the school’s SEND register;
  • Liaising with outside agencies who come to school to offer support and guidance for your child (e.g. Speech and Language Therapist, counsellor, Learning Mentor, Communication Interaction Team, Educational Psychologist, etc.);
  • Providing specialist support and training to all school staff to ensure that can provide the appropriate support to all children with SEND so they achieve their full potential as this is our priority.

The Headteacher Mrs Kim Dorian-Kemp is responsible for the day – to – day running of High View School, including the support of SEND. She ensures that the Governing Body of the school is kept up to date about any issues regarding SEND. Mrs Anker meets the school’s SEND governor on a termly basis to discuss and update her.    

How do I contact the person responsible for SEN or arrange to meet them?

Contact can be established either;

  • via telephone on 01752 772984 ;
  • by e-mail to: highviewschool@plymouth.gov.uk
  • Alternatively come to our reception and see our receptionist Sam James.

What training or specialist expertise do your staff have around SEN?

All High View School teachers have the qualified teacher status (QTS). All staff, teachers and support staff are attending weekly insets to improve and be updated in all areas of teaching and learning, including areas of SEND such as Autism Spectrum Condition (ASC), Speech and Language or physical disabilities such as hearing impairment. Individual staff attend training courses run by outside agencies that are relevant to their children in their care.

What support can the school provide for children and young people with SEN?

The well-being of all of our pupils is our primary concern at High View School. They are supported with their social and emotional development throughout the school day, through the curriculum and extra-curricular activities. Personal, Social and Health Education (PSHE) and Social and Emotional Aspects of Learning (SEAL) are integral to our curriculum and are also taught explicitly on a weekly basis. Building and Learning Power (BLP) strategies are used consistently in all classes to promote your child’s personal and learning skills, promoting their success.

Additional support from specialist staff is arranged as needed for individual pupils, both in and out of the classroom; a tailored personal plan may be put in place for pupils with the highest need.

Our Behaviour Policy; which includes guidance on expectations, rewards and sanctions is fully understood and in place by all staff.

We regularly monitor attendance, support pupils returning to school after absence and take the necessary actions to prevent prolonged un-authorised absence.

Relevant staff are trained to support medical needs and in some cases all staff receive training. We have a medical policy in place.

Pupils’ views are sought through school council and other forums.

What further external support can the school access and when would this happen?

  • All external partners we work with are vetted in terms of safe guarding and when buying in additional services we monitor the impact of any intervention against cost, to ensure a value for money service.
  • Educational outside agencies include: Educational Psychology (EPS); Multi-Agency Support Team (MAST); Learning and Language Support (SLS); Outreach Services, including ASC; Raising Ethnic Minority Achievement (EMA), which includes English Additional Language and Traveler Service support, Jeremiah’s Journey (Bereavement Support).
  • Specialist health services such as Speech and Language Therapy (SALT); Physical and Sensory Support Service (PATSS), which includes Hearing Impaired Service (HI) and Visually Impaired Service (VI); Occupational Therapy (OT); Physio-therapy (PT); Child and Adolescent Mental Health (CAMHS); other health professionals.
  • We work with Social Services, Plymouth Family Support (FIP) and Community Police.
  • We also have an allocated Education Welfare officer and work with Parent Partners to support families.

Who can I contact to provide additional advice and support for my family?

In the first instance, parents/carers are encouraged to talk to their child’s class teacher. For students with SEND, further information and support can be obtained from the school’s INCo. The PSA is also able to offer family advice and support. 

How are parents / carers and children and young people with SEND supported to share their views and concerns and work alongside the school / setting?

  • We work in partnership with parents to support each child/young person’s well-being, learning needs, progress and aspirations.
  • We operate an open-door policy to allow parents to contact their child’s class teacher or any other member of staff with ease.
  • Parents are invited to become involved in school-life through a number of means e.g. the PTA, parent forums throughout the year.
  • We host regular parent focus groups to model our approaches to learning, behaviour, emotional wellbeing, ASC, etc; giving parents the confidence to support their child’s learning at home.
  • Our Governing Body includes Parent Governors/representatives.

If I am not happy with the provision at the school / setting, how can I share my concerns or make a complaint?

Below are the steps you need to take:

  • Talk to the class teacher and raise your concerns.

If you still not satisfied, proceed to the next steps:

High View School

2 Torridge Way




TEL: 01752 772984

Plymouth City Council

SEND Department

Civic Centre



TEL: 01752 668000

How will my child be supported when he/she is moving to another class or is leaving High View School?

We recognise that transitions can be difficult for a child with SEND and take steps to ensure that any transition is a smooth as possible.

When moving classes in school:

  • Information will be passed on to the new class teacher IN ADVANCE and a planning meeting will take place with the new teacher. All Individual Education Plans will be shared with the new teacher.
  • If your child would be helped by a booklet to support them understand moving on then it will be made for them.
  • Your child will have various opportunities to visit her new classroom and teacher.

In Year 6:

  • The INCo will arrange and attend transition meetings with the SENCo/INCo of their secondary school.
  • Your child will do focused learning about aspects of transition to support their understanding of the changes ahead.
  • Your child will visit their new school on several occasions and staff from the new school will visit your child in our school.
  • All records of your child will be passed to the secondary school.

If your child is moving child to another school:

  • We will contact the school SENCo/INCo and ensure he/she knows about any special arrangements or support that need to be made for your child.
  • We will make sure that all records about your child are passed on as soon as possible.
  • Plymouth Online Directory – offering health, social and wellbeing services provided by Plymouth City Council and partners.
  • Plymouth Parent Carer Voice – bringing together parents and carers of children and young people with special educational needs and disabilities (SEND) and giving them a voice
  • Friends and Families of special Children – offering support and services to families and their children with SEND
  •  Plymouth Information and Advice service (PIAS) –   providing information, advice and support relating to Special Educational Needs and Disabilities
  • Livewell South West – information on children and adult services including mental health, all around wellbeing, parent resources and advice on school readiness

Paper versions of any of the content is available upon written request. This may incur a charge, please see reception for details